Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Repurposed Spring Skirt and Shirt



A couple of years ago, my mom died.  She LOVED to wear comfy tshirts and  had lots of them, so I thought it would be good for my daughter to get a 'hug' from my mom with some re purposed clothes.  This is what I came up with:





It is made from a plus sized tshirt and a pair of plus sized knit pants.  To make the skirt, I used the bottom hemmed edges of the tshirt and the pants to make the bottom hemmed edge of the skirt, so I wouldn't have to make a hem--which I hate to make on knit!  I used the free pattern and tutorial for the pleated skirt at Fun Fleece.  The tutorial uses fleece, but I opted for the tshirt knit.




My absolute favorite blog is by Ashley at www.makeit-loveit.com.  She has some amazing things and used this blog to make the tshirt from the top part of the leftover tshirt.  It was made similar to the dress at Ashley's blog. 

I was going to applique a fish to the front of the shirt like this one, but then I realized there was a cuter star fish in the print of the shirt that was the coral color, so I went with that instead and sewed veins down each leg of the starfish in yellow, which is the way the print had it.  Then I put a dull yellow star in the middle of the start fish, to hide the starting points of the sewing.  It's quite cute!!!

My daughter loved the outfit because it is so twirly, AND it was made from her Grammie's clothes! 


Happy Re-purposing!

No comments:

Post a Comment